Top

History

XVIII-XIX
1736

THE BEGINNING

By order of the Russian empress Anna Ioannovna V.N. Tatishchev founded Motovolikha copper mill. The company ensured full cycle of copper mining and processing.

1863 — 1864

ARTILLERY PRODUCTION IS ESTABLISHED

Steel cannon and cast iron cannon plants were established at production facilities of the copper mill. Production of steel cannons at the level of the world’s best samples was mastered.

1871

PERM CANNON PLANTS

Steel cannon and cast iron cannon plants were merged into the Perm cannon plants. The brand stamp of the Perm cannon plants could be seen on every third weapon manufactured in Russia before 1917.

1875

THE TECHNOLOGICAL WONDER - STEAM HAMMER

The world’s largest 50-ton double-acting steam hammer was created at “Motovilikha”. Perm gun busters came out on top of the world’s production of heavy-caliber artillery.

1876

THE FIRST OPEN-HEARTH FURNACE

“Motovilikha” became the first plant in the Urals where the open-hearth furnaces were installed. The plant also produced steamboats, steam engines and boilers, rolling mills and other machines.  

1893

INVENTION OF ELECTRIC WELDING

At the World’s Exhibition in Chicago Head of Mining Department of Perm cannon plant Nikolay Slavyanov was awarded a medal “For revolution made in science and technology”. The method of consumable electrode welding invented by him is the basis of modern welding production. Electrical sealing of cast ingots also invented by Nikolay  Slavyanov was widely used in production.

XX-XXI
1914 — 1918

WORLD WAR I

Every fifth cannon of the Russian army was manufactured at “Motovilikha”.

1930s

RECONSTRUCTION AND NEW PRODUCTION

The general plan of the plant’s reconstruction was implemented after the war.
The company mastered manufacturing of products for nonferrous metal industry, road construction, oil and coal industry. The first country’s excavator was manufactured at “Motovilikha”. The plant produced dredgers, hydraulic suction dredges, mechanical cutting machines, cranes and other machinery.

1941 — 1945

THE GREAT PATRIOTIC WAR

In January 1941 the plant was awarder Order of Lenin in recognition of its merits in the sphere of creation and mastering of production of new types of weapons. During the war “Motovilikha” had gained 8 time increase in production of artillery. Every fourth weapon of the Red Army was made by the Motovilikha workers. The plant’ personnel had been 15 times won the Red Challenge Banner, and afterwards this Banner was entrusted to the plant for eternal safekeeping. The plant was decorated with another three USSR orders for its precious contribution to the victory.

1950 — 1960s

PLANT NAMED AFTER LENIN

Until 1992 the plant had been named after the leader of the world’s proletariat.
The first country’s steel continuous casting plant was installed at “Motovilikha”.
The following breakthrough technologies were introduced: electroslag remelting, steel treatment in ladle with synthetic slag, advanced types of metal pressure shaping, precision casting.

1957 — 1992

RECONVERSION

Since 1944 reconversion plan had been implemented. The plant produced harpoon guns, half-cube excavators, rock loaders, coal-mining machines, drill-presses, peat presses, hydraulic turbines as well as oil pumps, turbo-drill joints, beam-pumping units, drill collars, drilling bits, subsurface sucker-rods. In 1958 the USA and Federal Republic of Germany purchased licenses for production of Motovilikha’s turbo-drills. The plant became the leading plant engaged in design and production of dredgers, 90% of the USSR’s gold was mined with their application. For mastering of new technologies and steady-going faithful service in favor of the state the plant was awarded the fifth order.

1990s

FREE MARKET

The proportion of defense and civilian products of “Motovilikha” was shifted towards civilian production.  There were launched manufacturing of mobile cranes and road construction engineering department was established. The company also started the production of mixer taps and vehicle springs.

2000s

NEW METALLURGY

In 2000 the plant started operation of a ladle furnace and in 2002 electric arc steel furnace ДСП-60/70 (FAI-FUCHS) was commissioned. Since 2006 the program of Motovilikha metallurgical complex revamping has been implemented: in 2009 steel vacuum degassing unit and new forging facilities (Danieli) were put into operation and air separation plant was launched in 2013.

2011

ARTILLERY PLANT № 1

In the year of the company’s 275th anniversary the most advanced artillery production in Russia was established and launched at “Motovilikhinskiye zavody”.
“Motovilikha” is the only artillery full cycle mass production plant in the country.

2013

STRATEGY TILL 2017

The Board of Directors has approved the strategy of “Motovilikhinskiye zavody” development till 2017. By that time the sales volume will be 25 billion rubles. 8 billion rubles will be invested into revamping of production facilities.

2014

PRECISION ALLOYS

Nowadays the plant is implementing the project of high-tech production of fundamentally new types of multi-purpose alloys with combination of properties difficult to combine.